Saturday, May 10, 2008

Garbage Island In North Pacific Gyre, The Video!

As a youngster, I watched my father doing research on DDT, and it's effect on humans, the last of the food chain. He used to explain to me how it get accumulated in fatty tissues and how breast milk contained so much DDT in the third world women. That is where I learned the word BioAccumulation.
Today I watched 12 episodes of videos about Toxic Garbage Island that is in Pacific. I did not know to get angry or cry, but more like the latter. I have read about it before, have seen many pictures and reports about it. But never knew the actual story of it. Basically North Pacific Gyre is huge area in the pacific ocean that ocean currents from multiple areas converge, as seen in the picture above. So all the garbage collected from shores travel here, if the are not bio degradable, like plastics that we uses every day ad throw in to the garbage can. These plastics get cooked in the sun as they travel in the ocean towards the center of the gyre. Some times these get converted in the gooey stuff that small fish and small marine animals eat. So these small fish get eaten by larger and they in turn get eaten by even larger fish. And we with our trawlers go out there and catch these large fish and consume them with the accumulated chemicals like mercury, Bisphenol A that is used to make hard clear plastic, polycarbonate. There seem to be a study that higher levels of Bisphenol A affecting women getting pregnant. So basically we are driving ourselves in to extinction!
Please Please be careful with what you throw away. Recycle, all the time. Here is the first episode of the 12 I watched today. The reporter uses four letter word, (I don't blame him for feeling that way.) so if there are kids around watch it yourself first. I don't want to spoil small minds with four letter words.

you can watch the other episodes at VBS.TV
GridTags: , , , ,

No comments: